Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Big Project, an update for this year

It's a rainy day here in Maryland, yet again, but it is a drizzle and temperature is nice enough for shorts. I've spent it planting bulbs with my new bulb auger which is a wonderful tool and makes things much easier. I've also potted up so bits of DNA pilfered from here and there and sat several times to watch the birds at the feeders and rest.

Have I mentioned that the Big Project (vegetable garden with raised beds in a medium to large mammal proof fence) is going great? Well, short of the dang stink bugs it is. Lovely soil, effective fence and brain finally wrapped around 3 season planting and crop rotations thanks to the help of growveg.com.

When my kids built me the fence they also ran power to the shed and water. DH just hooked up the electric (15 volt max) so I have a light and a plug place. The water still must be turned on at the house but I can run it out of a hose that stays inside the fence.

Posted by Picasa


Other sub projects to come:
Build even more raised beds inside the fence (about 1/2 complete)
Box in a Freecycle double sink within the fence for washing up and potting
Set up a soaker hose system for each raised bed
Continue planting flowers on 3 sides of the fence (4th side is the shed)

In the rest of the yard my biggest new project is to plant liriope under my deck to stop the constant erosion.

This has been a great gardening year for me thanks to much help from family.Posted by Picasa

No comments: